The clock is ticking. The first day of summer is just around the corner. But you don’t need to wait until June 21st to begin your summer adventures. There are plenty of Central New Jersey summer day trips for you, your friends, and your family to enjoy all summer long. We think you’ll enjoy some of the trips so much you’ll come back for seconds, and maybe even thirds. Additionally, you will be doing your due diligence scouting for day trips appropriate for all members of your out of town visitors as they file in to enjoy your hospitality and help welcome you into your new home in Central New Jersey. Here are 5 Central New Jersey day trips to take this summer.
1. Duke Farms: There are over 1,000 acres of land open for the public to explore on this 2,740 acre historic property in Somerset County. You can enjoy exploring New Jersey's native landscape on the estate by foot or bicycle. You can even rent a bicycle to explore the grounds through their bike share program for a modest fee (a 2 hour bike rental is $7 for adults and $5 under 18). Parking and admission to Duke Farms are free! The Farm Barn Cafe is open year round…so you can refuel and get back to your adventure no matter the season (snowshoeing is a popular way to explore the ground when the snow begins to fall … you won’t even have to pack a lunch). There are 18 miles of trails passing through meadows, lakes, lagoons, fountains, and sculptures. 12 miles of trails are open to bicycles. Keep your eye out for the wildlife thriving on the estate. Whitetail deer, rabbits, red fox, coyotes, bobcats, minks, beavers, and black bears are just a few of the animals that call Duke Farms home!
2. Black River & Western Railroad: There’s a little something for everyone at the Black River & Western Railroad. The BR&W has been serving the community for over fifty years on a rail line that is over 160 years old. You will enjoy a round trip ride in a vintage diesel, or steam powered locomotive from Flemington to Ringoes (or vice versa) in Hunterdon County, NJ. Plan for a 20 minute trip in one direction, 20 minutes to turn the train around, and another 20 minutes to bring you back. The museum in Ringoes tells the story of transportation through artifacts and exhibits. You can explore the railroad car museum while waiting for the train to turn around!
3. Cream Ridge Winery: There are quite a few wineries to explore in Central New Jersey. The Cream Ridge Winery has been proudly producing handcrafted wines in Monmouth County since 1988. They are a small and unique winery … making an interesting starting point for your New Jersey winery explorations. No reservations are required for wine tasting, but they ask for groups of six or more. They have live music on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in the summer with a BYOP (bring your own picnic) policy…bring food, blankets, and chairs (but no outside alcohol). Under 21 visitors are not allowed in the bar or tasting area, so plan your trip accordingly.
4. Bacchus Winemaking: Perhaps you and your loved ones enjoyed a long and delightful summer exploring over forty wineries along the wine trails across the state. You gained valuable experience in wine tasting and would like to end the summer on a “fruit forward note” by trying your hand at making your own wine. How will you begin? Lucky for you New Jersey is home to Bacchus Winemaking, the first winemaking school in the country. The “California Season” classes in Ocean County start in September once the grapes are harvested from the California wine region. Private and corporate winemaking events are also available.
5. Six Flags Great Adventure: Lions, tigers, elephants, and rollercoasters! Do we need to say more? What summer in New Jersey is complete without at least one trip to this iconic amusement park and wild safari drive-thru? And don’t forget about Six Flags Hurricane Harbor…a refreshing water park adventure to keep you cool on a hot summer day in Ocean County.
CENTURY 21 Action Plus Realty has offices strategically located in Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, and Mercer counties. We look forward to helping you find your new home in Central New Jersey so you can start soaking in a little summer adventure in our fine state. Contact us today!