Are you ready for the next stage of your life and considering purchasing a new home in an adult community? There are many things to consider when making that choice. Serving Central New Jersey, the team at Century 21 Action Plus Realty has built our success on serving one satisfied customer at a time. We look forward to helping you when you begin your search for a home in an adult community. Here are five things to consider as you begin your search.
1. Location, location, location: You may prefer a quiet community set aside from the hustle and bustle of urban activity, the peaceful sound of waves meeting the beach and rocking you to sleep at an oceanfront property, a home close to state parks and hiking trails (New Jersey has over 1,400 hiking trails and 72 miles of the Appalachian Trail passes through the state), or perhaps you would prefer a setting much closer to the hustle and bustle of urban activity. New Jersey has the second highest grouping of adult communities in the United States, second only to Florida. There are over 230 adult communities in New Jersey with 117 adult communities in Central New Jersey alone. New Jersey has a location to fit your lifestyle. A Century 21 Action Plus Realty agent can help you narrow your search.
2. Welcome to the Neighborhood: When viewing homes it’s always a good idea to meet some current residents. Your new potential neighbors can provide valuable insight into the best parts of living in the community. A walk through the neighborhood will give you and your spouse a little taste of what life may have in store for you.
3. Rules and Regulations: In the United State housing discrimination is prohibited with one exception, age. The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons introduced in 1995 outlines the basic requirements. Some communities may be intended for the 62 years and older crowd while the most common are communities being for adults in the 55+ category. It’s important to understand the rules governing an individual community. Some 55+ communities may require both husband and wife to be 55 or older before moving into your new home. You don’t want to leave your partner behind!
4. Community Management: With great management comes great living conditions. Landscaping will be meticulously cared for, activities of interest will be well organized and amenities such as pools or tennis courts will be well maintained and inviting. Talking to the managers, and the current residents will give you a feel for how things are run in the community.
5. Local Culture and Recreation: Is there a theater close by? Is there a racetrack for a little gambling excitement? Is there a symphony hall? Where are the bike trails? Where can I take my grandchildren for a day of fun when they come to visit? Where is the closest Six Flags Great Adventure? These are all great questions to ask when choosing an adult community. Fortunately, many of the adult communities in New Jersey are situated close to many cultural and recreational opportunities as well as easy access to opportunities in the bordering states of New York and Pennsylvania.
Century 21 Action Plus Realty has offices strategically located in Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, and Mercer counties. We currently have over 1,200 adult community listings in Central New Jersey. Contact us today so we may help you begin the search for your new home and the next chapter of your life!